The Legislation Update Service provides organisations in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland with bespoke environmental legal registers and is aimed primarily at supporting organisations to meet all of the compliance requirements within the current environmental management systems standards, including ISO 14001 and ISO 50001.
Subscription to the environmental legal register provides organisations with the ability to:
- Identify and determine the environmental compliance obligations relevant to their business;
- Access the relevant legislation and supporting guidance documents;
- Document how and why the compliance obligations apply to their business;
- Demonstrate how it keeps up to date with changes in compliance obligations;
- Record and retain documented information as evidence of compliance evaluation;
- Record any identified risks and opportunities associated with its compliance obligations;
- Maintain knowledge and understanding of its compliance status;
- Link compliance obligations to relevant environmental aspects and environmental objectives;
all of which are mandatory requirements of environmental management systems standards.
Our environmental legal register has a number of product features including:
- The ability to create bespoke legal registers containing the environmental legislation relevant to your organisation’s activities;
- Plain English summaries of all legislation;
- Legal content updated each month with new and amended legislation, automatically updating your legal register(s);
- A monthly newsletter, emailed to nominated personnel, containing information on new and amended legislation relevant to your organisation, as well as news, guidance, consultations, case law, prosecutions and expert commentary;
- Multi-site options to structure your legal register(s);
- The ability to write compliance comments against individual pieces of legislation and upload compliance documents, creating an audit trail for periodic evaluation of compliance;
- The option to assign compliance actions and schedule reminders to personnel;
- The ability to add non-statutory compliance obligations to your legal register(s);
- Environmental aspects register, with the flexibility to create your own bespoke register and link it to relevant legislation in your environmental legal register;
- Helpline support to respond to any legal compliance and / or technical enquiries.
The environmental legal register includes within it the option for organisations to build a bespoke environmental aspects register. The aspects register is designed to support organisations to meet all of the environmental aspects requirements of current environmental management systems standards, including the new requirements within the recently revised ISO 14001.
The environmental aspects register provides organisations with the ability to:
- Record environmental aspects which have been identified as relevant to its activities, products and services under normal, abnormal and reasonable foreseeable emergency situations;
- Assign environmental aspects to aspect category headings such as raw materials, energy use, air emissions, waste, releases to water etc.;
- Assign environmental aspects to relevant life cycle stages to demonstrate that the life cycle perspective has been considered;
- Record the environmental impact associated with each identified environmental aspect;
- Link environmental aspects to relevant compliance obligations contained within the legal register;
- Design and develop criteria for evaluating environmental aspects for significance and highlighting those aspects identified as significant;
- Document explanatory notes against the significance criteria to provide justification for the outcome of the significance evaluation process;
- Upload relevant documents or records to identified environmental aspects;
- Record any identified risks and opportunities associated with its significant environmental aspects;
- Record environmental objectives and link them to relevant significant environmental aspects, compliance obligations and / or risks and opportunities;
- Maintain documented information of its:
- Environmental aspects and associated environmental impacts;
- Significance criteria;
- Significant environmental aspects;
- Risks and opportunities associated with environmental aspects;
- Environmental objectives.
Subscription to the Legislation Update Service also provides you with a monthly newsletter, updating you on all the new and amended environmental legislation which is relevant to your business.
The newsletter is emailed to all nominated personnel and in addition to informing you of relevant new and amended environmental legislation, it also contains information on environmental news, consultations, case law, prosecutions and expert commentary. The newsletter also contains links which will take you directly to the relevant part of your environmental legal register, making it easy to find and access the information that has been updated.
The newsletters are also stored in the newsletter section of your environmental legal register, so that they are accessible for review at any time.
The newsletter is also available as a separate subscription service if you wish to be kept informed of changes to environmental legislation but do not require a legal register.
The environmental legal register will provide you with the following content:
- The environmental legal register itself, for which the structure and content is outlined below;
- Environmental aspects register;
- What’s new in your register, providing you with a list of what’s changed in your register on a month by month basis;
- Environmental consultations;
- Your newsletters;
- Useful environmental resources;
- Overview of supporting consultancy services.
The environmental legal register includes Acts, Directives, Orders, Regulations and relevant guidance documents covering England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. The content of the legal register is structured under the environmental chapter headings as outlined below. Also listed are a few examples of the law contained within each chapter.
- The Ozone-Depleting Substances Regulations 2015
- The Fluorinated Greenhouse Gases Regulations 2015
- Clean Air Act 1993
- Energy & Climate Change
- Climate Change Act 2008
- Energy Act 2008
- The Climate Change Levy (General) Regulations 2001
- The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) Regulations 2002
- Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012
- Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH) Regulations (EC 1907/2006)
- Environmental Protection Act 1990 Part IIA
- The Contaminated Land (England) Regulations 2006
- The Radioactive Contaminated Land (Enabling Powers) (England) Regulations 2005
- The Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005
- The Environmental Noise (England) Regulations 2006
- The Statutory Nuisances (Insects) Regulations 2006
- Planning / Wildlife
- Town and Country Planning Act 1990
- The Energy Performance of Buildings (England and Wales) Regulations 2012
- Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981
- The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016
- The Pollution Prevention and Control Act 1999
- Environmental Civil Sanctions Order 2010
- Notification of Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers Regulations 1992
- The Control of Noise at Work Regulations 2005
- The Carriage of Dangerous Goods and Use of Transportable Pressure Equipment Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2010
- ISO 9001
- ISO 14001
- The Carbon Trust Standard
- The Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2011
- The Hazardous Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2005
- The Producer Responsibility Obligations (Packaging Waste) Regulations 2007
- The Control of Pollution (Oil Storage) (England) Regulations 2001
- Water Industry Act 1991
- The Flood Risk Regulations 2009