Health & Safety Legal Register
The Legislation Update Service provides organisations in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland with bespoke health & safety legal registers and is aimed primarily at supporting organisations to meet all of the compliance requirements within the current occupational health & safety management systems standards, including OHSAS 18001 and ISO 45001.
Subscription to the health & safety legal register provides organisations with the ability to:
- Identify and determine the health & safety compliance obligations relevant to their business;
- Access the relevant legislation and supporting guidance documents;
- Document how and why the compliance obligations apply to their business;
- Demonstrate how it keeps up to date with changes in compliance obligations;
- Record and retain documented information as evidence of compliance evaluation;
- Record any identified risks and opportunities associated with its compliance obligations;
- Maintain knowledge and understanding of its compliance status;
- Link compliance obligations to relevant health and safety hazards;
all of which are mandatory requirements of occupational health & safety management systems standards.
Our health & safety legal register has a number of product features including:
- The ability to create bespoke legal registers containing the health & safety legislation relevant to your organisation’s activities;
- Plain English summaries of all legislation;
- Legal content updated each month with new and amended legislation, automatically updating your legal register(s);
- A monthly newsletter, emailed to nominated personnel, containing information on new and amended legislation relevant to your organisation, as well as news, guidance, consultations, case law, prosecutions and expert commentary;
- Multi-site options to structure your legal register(s);
- The ability to write compliance comments against individual pieces of legislation and upload compliance documents, creating an audit trail for periodic evaluation of compliance;
- The option to assign compliance actions and schedule reminders to personnel;
- The ability to add non-statutory compliance obligations to your legal register(s);
- Hazard identification register, with the flexibility to create your own bespoke register and link it to relevant legislation in your health & safety legal register;
- Helpline support to respond to any legal compliance and / or technical enquiries.
The health & safety legal register includes within it the option for organisations to build a bespoke hazard identification register. The register is designed to support organisations to meet all of the hazard identification requirements of current health and safety management systems.
The hazard identification register provides organisations with the ability to:
- Record health & safety hazards which have been identified relevant to its routine and non-routine activities;
- Assign health & safety hazards to group headings such as plant & equipment, materials & substances, work environment, place of work etc.;
- Record current control measures and further control measures required against each identified health & safety hazard;
- Design and develop risk assessment methodology for evaluating health & safety hazards and prioritising risks;
- Link health and safety hazards to relevant compliance obligations contained within the legal register;
- Upload relevant documents or records to identified health & safety hazards;
- Maintain documented information of its:
- Health & safety hazards and determined controls;
- Risk assessment methodology;
- Priority risks.
Subscription to the Legislation Update Service also provides you with a monthly newsletter, updating you on all the new and amended health & safety legislation which is relevant to your business.
The newsletter is emailed to all nominated personnel and in addition to informing you of relevant new and amended health & safety legislation, it also contains information on health & safety news, consultations, case law, prosecutions and expert commentary. The newsletter also contains links which will take you directly to the relevant part of your health & safety legal register, making it easy to find and access the information that has been updated.
The newsletters are also stored in the newsletter section of your health & safety legal register, so that they are accessible for review at any time.
The newsletter is also available as a separate subscription service if you wish to be kept informed of changes to health & safety legislation but do not require a legal register.
The health & safety legal register will provide you with the following content:
- The health & safety legal register itself, for which the structure and content is outlined below;
- Hazard identification register;
- What’s new in your register, providing you with a list of what’s changed in your register on a month by month basis;
- Health & safety consultations;
- Your newsletters;
- Useful health & safety resources;
- Overview of supporting consultancy services.
The health & safety legal register includes Acts, Directives, Orders, Regulations and relevant guidance documents covering England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. The content of the legal register is structured under the health & safety chapter headings as outlined below. Also listed are a few examples of the law contained within each chapter.
- Accidents and Injury
- The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013
- The Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981
- The Railways (Accident Investigation and Reporting) Regulations 2005
- The Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015
- Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (Construction) Regulations 2013
- Approved Code of Practice – Construction
- The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989
- The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 2016
- The Electricity at Work Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1991
- The Building Regulations 2010
- The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005
- The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015
- Hazardous Substances
- Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012
- Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) Regulations 2002
- Control of Lead at Work Regulations 2002
- Management of Health and Safety
- The Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974
- The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999
- Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (General Application) Regulations 2007
- The Control of Noise at Work Regulations 2005
- The Noise Emission in the Environment by Equipment for Use Outdoors Regulations 2001
- The Control of Noise at Work Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2006
- Pressure Systems
- Pressure Equipment (Safety) Regulations 2016
- Pressure Systems Safety Regulations 2000
- European Union (Pressure Equipment) Regulations 2017
- Work Equipment
- The Personal Protective Equipment Regulations 2002
- The Control of Vibration at Work Regulations 2005
- The Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations 1992
- Work Environment
- Manual Handling Operations Regulations 1992
- The Health and Safety (Safety Signs and Signals) Regulations 1996
- The Confined Spaces Regulations 1997